The Louisiana Stars Drum and Bugle Corps Board of Directors is now opening a search for a corps director. Going into the 2022 competitive season, the Board of Directors appointed Dr. Jeremi Edwards to the position of interim corps director with the intentions of doing a comprehensive search following the drum corps’ return. Dr. Edwards will continue in the position throughout the duration of the search and will remain in an advisory position thereafter.
The Board of Directors is looking for a creative, strategic-minded, confident leader to help establish long-term growth for Louisiana Stars. The corps director leads all aspects of the drum corps’ operations and establishes high-quality standards for members, staff, and volunteers for the Drum Corps International competitive season. The position’s primary responsibility is to oversee the drum corps program and execute daily tasks required to operate effective auditions, rehearsal camps, training, and a summer performance tour.
The corps director reports to the Board of Directors. This position works collaboratively with the program coordinator to determine the educational and performance goals of the drum corps as well as the tour director to execute corps operations. All paid and volunteer staff of the drum corps report to the corps director.
Louisiana Stars Drum and Bugle Corps is committed to enhancing our diverse work environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, religion, sexual orientation, age, disability, parental status, veteran status, or any other protected status under applicable laws. We encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply.
Interested applicants should submit contact information, a cover letter, and resume (PDF preferred) to Louisiana Stars Board of Director President David Maynor at email@example.com.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish annual performance, educational, and operational goals and objectives for the corps and evaluate progress
- Determine season calendar for auditions, rehearsal camps, community performances, and DCI summer tour
- Collaborate with the board of directors to develop and maintain the corps’s fiscal budget
- Represent Louisiana Stars and maintain positive relationships with Drum Corps International (DCI) and other pertinent organizations and partners
- Collaborate with the tour director to secure rehearsal facilities and transportation needs for the winter and summer rehearsals and tour
- Coordinate member recruiting efforts with instructional staff
- Regularly communicate with members and parents
- Collaborate with board of directors as well as administrative staff to maintain members’ financial and personal records
- Develop and maintain staff, volunteer, and member policy and procedure handbooks
- Collaborate with the board of directors to explore new or expanded corps initiatives with potential for additional revenue, increased community engagement, and entertainment value.
- Collaborate with the board of directors to develop and schedule education camps that align with the corps’ rehearsal and touring schedule
- Provide regular updates to the board of directors and attend committee meetings when invited
- Lead and enforce safety initiatives to ensure Louisiana Stars remains a safe and positive experience for members, staff, and volunteers
Staff & Volunteer Supervision
- Recruit candidates for paid and volunteer staff positions
- Collaborate with program coordinator to appoint key design and instructional staff positions
- Collaborate with tour director to coordinate all tour administrative staff and volunteers
- Supervise all drum corps staff and volunteers and resolve conflicts
- Communicate with staff and volunteers on a regular basis
- Schedule, plan, and direct corps staff meetings
- Collaborate with program staff to facilitate designer meetings and artistic planning
- Collaborate with educational staff to develop member education objectives as well as member experience standards and expectations
*** As the organization evolves, so may this role. Duties may change as needed with direction from the board of directors.
Knowledge and Skills
- At least 3 years of leadership experience in a professional work environment
- At least 1 year experience in drum corps administration is preferred
- Experience as a drum corps instructor or in performing arts education is a plus
- Extensive professional network within the drum corps activity and across the country is a plus
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong communication, time management, interpersonal, and organizational skills
- Passion for the drum corps activity and expanding its presence in our region
- Comfortable working with Google Office Suite, internal communications systems, and data management applications
- Results-oriented team player with the ability to take the initiative and drive programs
Work Conditions and Additional Details
- This position is part-time, depending on interest and availability. There will be occasional periods of intense work during monthly weekend rehearsal camps (November to May) and summer drum corps season (June to mid August)
- Residing in the Louisiana state region is preferred
- Flexible work hours and remote working options with the ability to attend evening and weekend meetings, functions, and events
- Ability to tour consistently with the corps June to mid-August
- Ability to operate a computer keyboard, mouse, and to handle other office equipment
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Compensation is commensurate with experience